Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Elizabeth Comes Home

It was a cool, foggy, damp day for the Park Point Rummage Sale today.  Bob and I went late, after we had gone to a graduation party.  We thought maybe there might be some last minute bargains.  I really didn't expect to find anything. Mostly I was right.  The majority of the sales had been put away, and the remains of trash and "free stuff" were out on the curbs.  We drove along, scoping out what might be left.  There were no crowds, the real bargain hunters were long gone, and parking was no problem.  As we drove along, I suddenly spied a spinning wheel sitting out in a driveway.  I hollered, "Spinning wheel, STOP!" Bob easily swung into a parking spot and we hiked back to the house.  It turned out to be exactly the model I thought it was, an Ashford Elizabeth.Gorgeous. Hardly used. Being sold by a teacher who never really got into spinning during her "knitting phase."  I talked her down on the price and we loaded up the Lady Liz into the back of Ruby for a third of her original price.  She came with a Lazy Kate and three bobbins.  She needs a drive belt, but I looked it up on the internet and the nicest belts cost $12.50.  Here's a pic of Hunter checking out the lovely gal:



Now, there is no way that I needed another spinning wheel. That said, this is a wheel that I have looked longingly at in the magazines.  I have checked it out at Shepherd's Harvest.  She is a lovely wheel.  And the price was excellent.  So, home she came.  And Hunter has given her the seal of approval.



I also purchased this book, which is the source of the poem I quoted yesterday.  I had read the first few pages on Amazon and thought it looked interesting.  Today I purchased a copy and I'm going to try to follow the course laid out in the book.



All in all, I'd say it was a pretty great day.  I'm off now to read the manual for my new wheel and order a drive belt so I can give her a spin!

Be grateful and see the beauty in each day!

No comments: