Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Another Walk

Two days ago, I wrote about a book I read entitled "The Walk." Today was a very nice day for a walk in the woods.  It was in the low 60's and "cloudy bright" as Bob calls it.  It was perfect hiking weather for me.  We are so fortunate to have beautiful wooded areas within the city limits of Duluth, Minnesota.  Take a walk with Bob and I as we explore the scenic Lester River and Lester Park area of Duluth
.
To get to the park, we took the Seven Bridges Road.  We stopped at Bridge 5 and I took this picture of the Lester River.
Each of the bridges on Seven Bridges Road is lovely in its own right.  Bridge 5 (I don't know if it has a different name) is no exception.
In spite of the 60 degree temperature, there was a family swimming in the river here.  The children were body surfing in the rushing water.  We drove on to get to the top of the Seven Bridges Road and begin our hike back down the river.
 
The wildflowers, rushing rapids, and the textures of nature are my favorite photographic subjects.  A clump of wild daisies across the river.
The leaves of a poplar tree.  Here in Minnesota, most people refer to this tree as a "popple." It is also known as an aspen.
The shape of the pine tree that is in the center of this picture caught my attention. I think it may have been a spruce tree, but it looked perfectly shaped to be a very large Christmas tree.
I love the softness of the moss against the hard stone wall. 
Threading a birch through the "eye " of the jack pine.
We'll cross at the stone footbridge.  Can you see it up-river?
The texture and green color of this fallen tree stump appealed to me.
Stairway to Heaven
We had to climb up on a stone wall to take a shot of this trunk of a fallen tree.  Would you have recognized what you were seeing if I hadn't told you? I thought it was neat how it almost looked like a miniature version of the forest.
How many colors and textures did Mother Nature use to paint this tiny portion of a tree?
Field of Paintbrush
A study of darks and lights.
The wild strawberries are just about ripe.
A sprinkling of gold in a thicket.
This winding trail has brought our walk to an end.
The wildflowers bid us a fond farewell for today.
Thanks for joining us on our hike through the northwoods!

Be grateful and see the beauty in each day!

No comments: