Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Happiness Project, Monday of Week 2

Well, it was a Monday today, but not a bad Monday.  We had our Kindergartener's in the Computer Lab and I got quite a bit more benchmark testing done.  I went grocery shopping after work, picked up a prescription, unloaded groceries and put them away, made a meatloaf and baked potato dinner and changed out the dishwasher.

I downloaded a chapter of a book I saw mentioned by Kelly P. from Knit Picks onto my Kindle.  The premise of the book is making some sort of craft item every day for a year.  Kelly was asking how the idea of the book might be transferred to knitting or spinning.  Easy, I thought, just knit every day.  So, knit I have.

This is what I've been knitting on this evening. 
This was an unexpected project.  My friend asked me for a little help with a scarf she was knitting.  I looked over her scarf, and I was having a bit of trouble figuring out exactly what was happening on her project.  I knew that she had ripped out this project a few times (fifteen, to be exact) and was getting a bit frustrated with it. I decided that I needed to try knitting the lace pattern to see if I could identify the problem.   I went into my stash and found this relatively inexpensive yarn and started the pattern.  I was surprised to find that I really enjoy this simple lace pattern, and I was liking the yarn way more than I thought I would.  I figured out my friend's issue with her scarf, and decided to keep going with my own.  I've knit on it for three evenings now, and I'm still really loving it.  I love the reversability of the lace and the way this yarn drapes, yet has a rustic feel to it.  The pattern is the Spectrum Scarf  by Eunny Jung from Interweave Knits. The yarn is Lion Brand's Fisherman's Wool in the oatmeal color. This is a great "carry-along" project that fits nicely into my bag.
Here's a close up of the lace pattern.  It's basically just a K1P1 rib with a yarn over between each rib.  I like it! Thanks, Doreen, and I still think you should finish your scarf with the Bavarian Twist Stitch!

The motivational quote of the day:

Just remember, the only people who don't make mistakes are those who aren't doing anything.
~Tim W. Welborn

This quote speaks to me because I often feel "stuck" because I'm afraid to make mistakes.  I have crafting materials that I've had for years because I'm afraid to use them and mess them up. I need to remember this quote to try to get past this and give myself permission to make mistakes.

Be grateful and see the beauty in each day!

2 comments:

Doreen said...

Oh gosh if I quit everytime I made a mistake I would be doing nothing! Think of it as a learning curve and if you make a mistake say" it's okay I love trying and I will try again". I have some yarn that keeps talking to me! :)

Doreen said...

I am getting a little concerned that I have not seen a post since Jan.10th. :) Just checking