Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Only Get Better From Here

I'll be honest. The past two days have been difficult for me, food-wise. I tend to eat when stress is being relieved in my life (not during the actual stress event.) I have exceeded my food target range. My uncle survived triple bypass surgery on the 4th of July. This is great news and a wonderful relief as he had flat-lined twice in the past week. My five cousins and aunt came to my parents' house for a barbecue once my uncle was out of surgery and in his room. Instead of being able to help my folks with the cooking, serving, and clean-up; I was in a chair with my leg propped. My wonderful daughter took time off of her two jobs (in spite of me telling her I was okay) and unexpectedly drove 120 miles to spend a week caring for me. One of my brothers connected with another uncle, and drove a wheelchair 100 miles to bring it to me. Other people brought me food (not necessarily the best choices) and I ate it. I went over my target. It is so hard for me to need and have to ask for help. I'm supposed to be the care-giver, not the care-needer.

Yesterday, I saw the sports medicine / orthopaedic doctor. My daughter drove me and came into the room with me. The doc was very nice and spent good time with us. He listened to what happened during my fall, and manipulated my knee. He suspects I have torn my ACL, my MCL, and the meniscus. The doc was very understanding when I explained that I want to get the show on the road if repair is needed. I am going in this afternoon to have an MRI to confirm or revise his diagnosis. He explained to me that if it was just the MCL, it is possible that rehab and time could heal it. But, with the three injuries, it would seem that surgery is in my future.

Determined not to let this spoil my whole visit with my family visiting from Arizona, we went to our annual baseball game last night. I am a pain in the butt, because my bros had to ask about getting me in the wheelchair into the stadium and helping me up a few steps and storing the wheelchair. My leg was throbbing by the end of the game, but we had a good time. But, I also had a whole box of popcorn.... not the best.

Yesterday, the doc gave me a couple of exercises to keep the leg muscles from atrophying. My daughter is saying we'll get me some dumbbells to do upper-body exercises in the chair. This is a challenge, and it is going to be a challenge for some weeks to come. I am trying to stay positive. I am trying to look at this as a lesson to be learned. I am telling myself that if I can continue to get healthier while I am injured, that I will be able to continue my process as I get better. I am reminding myself that if I can figure out how to handle this, that perhaps I can help someone else through it in the future. I am telling myself that I will only get better from here (even if I will be having surgery.) Every day a little better, every day a little stronger.

No comments: